Sunday, May 27, 2012

Cloth Diapers 4 Days Later...

Okay - We are now 4 days into our cloth diapering journey. I now know that I made a few errors for long term cloth diapering, but am still immensely pleased with my overall choices.

Everything is still working swimmingly. We've now washed covers and changed our "covers" routine. We're now throwing them in with everything else since all but 1 is "authorized" for hot water and according to other moms it does just fine in hot water anyway. So for covers we washed with everything else and pulled them out after the last rinse and hung them up to dry overnight. First thing in the AM they were ready to rock and roll since it's been raining/snowing here for the past 3 days. Yes, that said snowing. Yes, I know it's May.

A few more lessons learned:

1. If you want to leave the house in cloth diapers, you need a small traveling wetbag for on the go. I ordered one on Friday when that dawned on me and we had to don a disposable to go to town. Ordered a PlanetWise Small WetBag from Cotton Babies for $9.50.

2. Cloth diapers are highly addictive. You're going to need a system to manage your expenditures vs. your budget. I know I might want more pocket diapers so I ordered a BumGenius 4.0 to try ($17.95 @ Cotton Babies). IF I like them I will order half a dozen to play with. If I don't, I'm going to wait to purchase anything else. Here's the deal - until I've made back the amount spent on diapers and covers, I'm not allowing myself to purchase more diapers. I do, however, have plans to purchase a few more items.

3. I'm short 1 more thing I need - a diaper sprayer. Do I NEED it? No. Will it pay for itself? Yes. So it's now on my "wishlist". I've decided if I'm going to invest in one, I want the best darn one I can find and the recently released FLO Diaper Sprayer from Swaddlebees/Blueberry is my pick. I'm allowing myself that, a Snappi, and one more PlanetWise Wet/Dry Bag as budget allows prior to meeting requirement #2. :)

4. I'm still loving this, but I can DEFINITELY see down the road that there will be times when I'm ready to throw in the towel. I had a talk with myself and for every $1 I save by using cloth after reimbursing myself for the cost of the diapers and covers I have purchased I will put that $1 towards something special for ME that I want. :) Looking forward to picking out my reward soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment